Located in a primarily residential neighborhood in the historic French district of Shanghai, XJH Centre will be among the largest commercial developments in the city. The site includes a retail podium with two class-A office towers at 370 meters and 220 meters; the greater of the two will be among the tallest buildings in Puxi. Upon completion, the towers will be the preeminent contemporary office towers for the city of Shanghai.
Movement in form
Movement echoes throughout the buildings and is reflected in the podium where the façade carefully switches direction to announce the building entrances. A building skirt integrated at each entry point waves gracefully, seamlessly connecting the podium to the base of the tower. This graceful movement continues upward to a tower roof feature with similar composition. The tower facade completes in a sweeping curve downward to transition to the secondary façade and roof below.
Towers as responsible neighbors and welcoming spaces
Great care was taken to the limit the shadows cast and light reflected from the exteriors due to the proximity of the neighboring communities. Meanwhile, natural light filters deep into the indoor space from the exterior articulation, creating an inviting and bright work environment and providing access to views of the greater Shanghai skyline.
Sustainable goals inform design
Sustainability is a key element factored into the design of the buildings, with a target for LEED Gold certification. High-performance glazing spans from floor to ceiling on the curtain wall, providing energy efficiency and reduced energy costs.
More About the Project
- Gregg E. Jones, AIA, LEED AP ↗
- Nate Hadley, LEED AP BD+C
- Chunlin He
- Eric Hull
- Bailey Topper
- Architect of Record/Local Architect: ECADI
- Executive Design Consultancy: P&T Architects
- Technical Design Consultancy: Adamson Associates Architects
- Structural Engineer: ARUP
- MEP: Parsons Brinckerhoff (WSP)
- Location: Shanghai, China
- Client: Sun Hung Kai Properties Ltd.
- Size: 3.5 million sq. ft. / 320,975 sq. m.
- Height: Tower 1 - 220 m.; Tower 2 - 370 m.
- Completion: 2023
- Certification: LEED Gold Objective
- Firm Role: Design Architect