An unforgettable statement building, Alexander Court is a newly combined progressive office building located in the core of Washington D.C.’s thriving Central Business District. This large-scale repositioning of two existing office buildings (2001 K Street and 2000 L Street) features a four-story vertical addition and 12-story glass atrium that provides expansive and bright new gathering spaces with desirable amenities.
Distinctive design establishes gracious public spaces
The centerpiece of Alexander Court, a grand and open atrium stretches 12 stories, connecting the two buildings and unifying the public space located at different levels of the complex. Gracefully mediating the aesthetics between the old and the new, multi-purpose wood fins extend from the atrium and wrap into the building lobby, forming a warm, solid wood ceiling and functioning as a part of a daylight control system. Natural light streams through all workspace areas from a high-performance glass curtain wall, new cladding for the original 2000 L Street building.
Amenities delight in the nation’s capital
With over 1,000 linear feet of window line per floor, open space abounds, providing an ideal flexible floor plate for today’s modern workplace. A fitness center with high-end work out equipment, spa-quality locker rooms and a multi-purpose fitness room. A 3,000 SF rooftop conference room with capacity for 100 people features a folding glass wall that allows indoor meetings and events to expand outside. A natural extension of the workplace, the lush rooftop terrace provides outdoor space to connect and collaborate while enjoying spectacular views of the National Cathedral and across northwest DC.
More About the Project
- Architect of Record: FOX Architects
- Structural Engineer: Rathgeber/Goss Associates
- MEP: WSP
- Lighting Design: One Lux Studio
- Location: Washington, D.C., USA
- Client: Rockrose Development Corp.
- Size: Addition: 200,000 sq. ft. / 18,580 sq. m. | Overall above-grade: 800,000 sq. ft. / 74,320 sq. m. | Lobby/Atrium: 30,000 sq. ft. / 2,780 sq. m. | Curtain Wall: 157,000 sq. ft. / 14,600 sq. m.
- Height (including 4-story vertical addition): 139 ft. / 42 m.
- Completion: 2018
- Certification: LEED BD+C CS Gold
- Firm Role: Design Architect
- ENR Mid-Atlantic Region 2018 Best Projects; 2018 Natural Stone Institute Pinnacle Award of Excellence, Commercial Interior; 2019 NAIOP Award of Excellence: Best Washington DC Urban Office over 150,000 sq. ft.
- Project Photography: Jeff Goldberg/ESTO