In the Southern Hemisphere’s largest city, São Paulo Corporate Towers are at the center of a rapidly developing central business district in the bustling Vila Olímpia neighborhood. Surrounded by lush botanical gardens and preserved trees from the Atlantic Forest, two mixed-use towers reach thirty stories into the sky, with an adjacent amenity building and underground parking for 4,000 vehicles. An iconic landmark in São Paulo, the towers are highly visible from several vantage points, including two major transportation throughways and the Pinheiros River. The towers have similar floor plans, but are oriented differently from one and other, appearing as distinct sculpted forms.
“The curtain walls are engineered to create striking, energized forms that gently taper as they reach toward the sky.” — Kristin Hopkins-Clegg, AIA
A green oasis in the center of a dense metropolis
In partnership with Balmori Associates, the landscape design celebrates the unique character and biodiversity of the Atlantic Forest by carefully preserving mature trees and planting abundant native species. Throughout the site, lush tree canopies at multiple heights create magical spaces of dappled light and shade, providing a cool microclimate within the area’s intense heat. The towers’ interior design offers continuous connection to the outside world with an outdoor elevator, vibrant rooftop garden, and plentiful places to relax and gather.
A rich history expressed by optimism for the future
Our client has a lifelong relationship with the land and is committed to preserving the mature trees of the Atlantic Forest. Only 9 percent of this vibrant Brazilian ecosystem remains in the world, with a handful of patches spread out within São Paulo’s urban area, including the project site. In addition to the site’s expansive green space with native plantings, the towers utilize extensive sun-shading and day-lighting strategies, high-performance facades, and robust water management systems. The selection of native plant species decrease water demand, and onsite rainwater collection allows for minimum irrigation. São Paulo Corporate Towers is the first development in Brazil to receive LEED Platinum rating.
“The architecture is deeply informed by the rich layering of tree canopy, native greenery, and botanical gardens — creating an experience in which the outdoors is of equal importance to the indoors.” — Rafael Pelli, FAIA, LEED AP
More About the Project
- Architect of Record: Aflalo e Gasperini Arquitetos Associados LTDA
- Landscape Architect: Balmori Associates
- Structural Engineers: França & Associados Engenharia S/S Ltda (concrete) / CODEME – Usiminas (steel) / Kurkdjian e Fruchtengarten Engenheiros Associados (steel)
- MEP: MHA Engenharia LTDA. (plumbing & elec.) / Teknika Projetos e Consultoria LTDA. (HVAC)
- Environmental Design: Atelier Ten
- Location: São Paulo, Brazil
- Client: Camargo Corrêa Desenvolvimento Imobiliário ( CCDI) / Participações Morro Vermelho (PMV)
- Size: 1,700,000 sq. ft. / 157,900 sq. m.
- Height: 459 ft. / 140 m.
- Completion: 2016
- Certifications: LEED Platinum
- Firm Role: Design Architect
- Project Photography: Ana Mello