A partnership between Yale and National University of Singapore, Yale-NUS is a vibrant community of living and learning for students and faculty from around the world. The college brings together Yale’s legacy of excellence with Southeast Asia’s thriving cultures, creating a forward-looking catalyst of curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking.
“Each decision we made was to build an environment that offers a deep sense of belonging.” — Mariko Masuoka AIA, LEED AP
Singapore’s climate and lush ecosystem take center stage
Built on the site of a former golf course, five heritage trees live at the center of campus, including a majestic Margaritaria Indica. Sunlight dapples down through the branches and greenery, reflecting on the eco-pond that filters rainwater for reuse. Abundant, sloping green space unfolds, inviting connection and collaboration among students and faculty. Throughout campus, sun- and rain-screened colonnades and roofs with generous eaves offer shelter from the elements.
A modern evocation of Singapore’s classic architecture
Each building on campus is connected by shaded walkways, providing shelter from the sun and rain, and referencing the traditional five-foot ways commonly found alongside Singapore’s shop houses.
Residential colleges cultivate deep bonds
Central to Yale NUS’s residential college model are “nested communities” — dynamic environments for students to experience diverse cultures, languages, and ideas. Three residential colleges are anchored by low-rise courtyard buildings, offering vibrant intergenerational homes for students and faculty. Modeled upon Yale College, students are grouped into “neighborhoods” with distinctive design language across dining halls, common rooms, classrooms, and lush gardens.
“When the college opened in 2015, there was collective amazement at its beauty and the thoughtful details that went into making it a space where living and learning are truly intertwined.”
— Pericles Lewis, Yale-NUS Founding President
More About the Project
- Structural Engineering: Meinhardt
- MEP: Meinhardt
- Landscape Architecture: Lekker Design Pte. Ltd.
- Location: Singapore, Singapore
- Clients: Yale-NUS College and National University of Singapore
- Size: 666,974 sq. ft. / 61,964 sq. m.
- Height: 330 ft. / 100 m.
- Completion: 2015
- Certification: Platinum Green Mark
- Firm Role: Design Architect
- 2016, International Architecture Award, The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design and The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies
- 2018, BCA Construction Excellence Award/ Institutional Buildings Category, Building and Construction Authority
- Principal Project Photography: Jeff Goldberg/ESTO