Established in 1847, the Godrej Group serves over a billion people globally in the consumer goods, real estate, and agricultural sectors. Godrej One unites the company’s diverse businesses in the same building for the first time in its history. Adjacent to a sweeping preserve of mangroves, Godrej One is the signature building within The Trees, a mixed-use development that transforms a former industrial site into a thriving neighborhood two stops by train from the center of Mumbai.
“The qualities I was most drawn to in the making of Godrej One were the experiences of space, light, and shadow. The intensity of sunlight makes the places in shade palpable in contrast — one can feel the shape of space in shade in a way I have not experienced before.” — Rafael Pelli, FAIA, LEED AP
Continuing a legacy of environmental innovation
Godrej Group is deeply committed to sustainability, reflected by its stewardship of the surrounding 1,700 acres of mangroves that are owned, managed, and protected by the company. Certified LEED Platinum, the building’s sustainable design brings creative innovations to life and develops solutions for efficient cooling in a tropical climate. Water is abundant during the area’s four monsoon months, but municipal reservoirs do not supply enough for the subsequent eight months of drought. We collaborated closely with environmental engineers to create systems that store and reuse rainwater, and extract and desalinize brackish groundwater for high-efficiency cooling towers — vastly more energy-conscious than the air-based types typically used in Mumbai.
“We are a 118-year-old organization. I think this is an amazing physical representation of our culture, our mission, and what we want to do. We use the Sanskrit term antevasin, which means one foot in the past and one foot in the future. So what we are saying through this beautiful new building, is that we are very deep-rooted to who we are.” — Nisaba Godrej, Chairperson and Managing Director, Godrej Consumer Products
More About the Project
- Architect of Record: P.G. Patki
- Structural Engineer: WSP /Cantor Seinuk
- MEP: WSP
- Landscape Architect: Balmori Associates
- Environmental Design: Atelier Ten
- Interior Amenities / Workplace Designer: Studios Architecture
- Lighting Design: AWA Lighting Designers
- Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
- Client: Godrej Properties Ltd.
- Size: 699,654 sq. ft. / 65,000 sq. m.
- Height: 178 ft. / 54.26 m.
- Completion: 2015
- Certification: LEED Platinum (IGBC)
- Firm Role: Design Architect
- 2015, Best Commercial Building of the year India NDTV Property Awards
- Project Photography: Jeff Goldberg/ESTO