With breathtaking views of Victoria Harbor and Kowloon Bay, 18 King Wah Road is a twenty-three-story office tower in North Point, the eastern district of Hong Kong Island. The tower is part of the waterfront promenade in this bustling mixed-use neighborhood. We began work on this project with an existing foundation already in place, a challenge that required thoughtful responses to the needs and aesthetic within Hong Kong’s quintessential urban density.
Instilling a spacious sense of ease in a high-density environment
The base of the tower is composed of triple-height Y-shaped columns that evoke buoyancy and offer an expansive street-level experience that draws the eye toward the building. The columns appear to lift the tower effortlessly, ascending above the adjacent expressway to provide each floor with panoramic views of the bay and harbor.
Innovative responses to environmental concerns
The tower’s architecture increases the flow of fresh air within an extremely dense urban environment. At each floor, high-performance metal sunshades minimize the effect of intense sunlight, keeping the interior cool while drawing natural light in.
“Design is often a process of elimination, of rising to particular challenges at the functional, financial, and societal levels.”
— David P. Chen AIA
More About the Project
- Architect of Record: Dennis Lau & Ng Chun Man Architects & Engineers Ltd.
- Structural Engineer: Stephen Cheng Consulting Engineers
- MEP: P&T Group
- Location: Hong Kong, People's Republic of China
- Client: Henderson Land Development Company Limited
- Size: 329,755 sq. ft. / 30,635 sq. m.
- Height: 347 ft. / 119 m.
- Completion: 2017
- Certifications: LEED Platinum, WELL Gold, BEAM Plus Platinum, China Green Building 3-Star
- Firm Role: Design Architect
- 2014, Asia Pacific Property Awards - Office Development Hong Kong Highly Commended
- 2014, Green Building Award, Merit Award
- 2014, China Property Awards, Best Green Development (China)
- 2014, Autodesk HK BIM Awards
- 2015, Asia Pacific Property Award, Best Office, Architecture Hong Kong 5-Star
- 2016, MIPIM Asia Best Futura Project, Silver Award
- 2016, APIGBA, EIGBA Award in Design Category, Hong Kong Chapter
- 2016, APIGBA, EIGBA Award of the Design Category, Regional Platinum
- 2016, bSHK International BIM Award, BuildingSMART's award in "Best BIM Application in Project Management and Lifecycle Management" Category
- 2018, Quality Building Award, Hong Kong Non Residential Category, Grand Award
- 2018, Hong Kong Institute of Architects Merit Award, Commercial Building
- 2018, Hong Kong Institute of Architects Special Architectural Award, Architectural Sustainability
- Principal Project Photography: Seth Powers